Re: looking for Baresch

John Grove wrote:

> Yet another oddity between the Slavic languages...

> There are a number of words that don't cross-translate well between these
> related languages - like Avaria - which means damage in Polish, but is an
> accident in Russian

The most dangerous one for Polish tourists going to Bohemia
is "szukac" which means "look for" or "try to find" and in Czech it
is a vulgar word - equivalent of the most frequent word in _Pulp
Fiction_ in literal meaning <g>.

When a Polish tourist says "Excuse me, I am looking for the museum",
the reaction may be just a smile - but saying "I am looking
for Dr. Capkova"... you may imagine.

Best regards,

Rafal