Re: looking for Baresch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rafal T. Prinke" <rafalp@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <perakh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <voynich@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2001 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: looking for Baresch

> Mark Perakh wrote:
> >
> > Just a nit-picking comment to interesting information. I would translate
> > Ovocni trh as Vegetable market rather than Fruit market. Cheers, Mark

Yet another oddity between the Slavic languages... Where ovochni is just a
little too close to the Russian word for Vegetable, it certainly means Fruit
in several other Slavic languages where Russian has transplanted Frukti.
There are a number of words that don't cross-translate well between these
related languages - like Avaria - which means damage in Polish, but is an
accident in Russian (Like Fruits & Vegetables, Damage and Accidents are
somewhat related but don't provide the desired meaning if compared side by
side).

John.