Re: Research Materials

On Oct 8,  7:19, Billy Hutton wrote:

> What do you all think about a published reproduction of the VMS?  I don't
> believe such a thing exists, and if this is true, I am very much interested
> in making a reproduction a reality.
>
> I thought I read somewhere that someone is attributed with "owning" the VMS.
> Is this true?

It would be wonderful if someone would publich a reproduction
of the VMS, and if you can help make that happen, a lot of
people would be grateful to you.  Negotiations are underway
concerning a project to make  a high quality digital color scan
of the VMS.  I think there is agreement in principle with the
vendor,  with a price tag fairly close to what a generous donor
has promised to provide.  If the vendor comes through with a formal
offer, and if we need extra money, I will not hesitate to ask
for everyone's help to make up the difference.  I was warned
that everything in the museum & rare book room world --- which
is the vendor's normal venue --- moves slowly, so I don't know
when this would happen.

The result of this scan could be published in one form or another,
and there we'd have it.  Ideally publication would take the form
of a web site of images, a CD disk set, and a coffee table book;
I'd be happy to see any 1 or 2 of the above.

Of course this would have to be done with the concurrence &
cooperation of the VMS's owner, the Beinecke library at Yale.
(Last I heard from them, they agree in principle, too, but again,
slow movement is the rule.)

--
Jim Reeds, AT&T Labs - Research
Shannon Laboratory, Room C229, Building 103

reeds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, phone: +1 973 360 8414, fax: +1 973 360 8178