Re: Off-topic Latin request.

Adams Douglas wrote:

> Sorry to send this to the list, I forgot who is good with Latin.
>
> Are the starting words below a proper translation, and what's the best way
> of translating the whole thing? I have a gift planned for the friend who
> sent me this.
>
> You can reply privately to this part, so as not to clutter the list
> further.

I sort of read it as "I have a catapult..." The first is correct. I don't remember
my Latin Orthography so I can't tell you about that. Nor have I a Latin dictionary
to make sure "catapult" belongs in the third declension (neuter) and isn't female
or male!  Latin does that. I am pretty sure that "I have" is correct as habere (to
have) is an -ere verb. It has been ages since I did anything significant in Latin
and I have never had to make presentations in Latin!!!

You bring up an interesting questions, which to me seem to have answers in the
negative. We can be pretty sure that it isn't a military manual. The lack of
military looking things in it might hint it wasn't a general work. Military things
have been important to humans for a long time, there lack is interesting. But
herbals and astrological works don't usually have such unless general. Mars after
all is god of War and is important astrologically.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve