Matteo Ricci's romanization system

Hello there, this is my first enquiry here.
    A little whole ago I read about the very intriguing suggestion that the Voynich script may have some connection to the "pinyin" system of romanisation of Chinese developed by Matteo Ricci. I forget where I saw this hint, perhaps Jorge Stolfi's site?
    Anyway, I have looked into it a little but have yet to find any examples of what Ricci's romanisation system looked like. All I have come up with is this reference, by a Dr Kim:
    "A Late Ming Mandarin Phonetics as reflected in the Pinyin Romanization system of Matteo Ricci and Nicolas Trigault" (YUYAN YANJIU, 1994).
    I'm sure this is in Chinese and I plan to track it down at the British Library (well at least in theory I do). I emailed the author, but he hasn't replied.
    What I was wondering is whether there has been any further ideas on this, or whether anyone has a sample of the actual script that was developed by Ricci and Trigault.

Steve