Re: Sky & Telescope article

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Brian Eric Farnell wrote:

> Dennis wrote:
> >
> >Twelve was sacred because of the
> > twelve tribes of Israel, not because there are about
> > twelve lunar cycles per solar cycle.
>
> Not that it's really important, but, I believe 12 came to be
> special because of practicality, it was easily divisible.  12
> and 60 became the basis of Babylonian (pretty sure) numbering
> system, leaving us with the system used for time.  Numerologies
> of the ancients valued 'strange' properties like this in the
> same way that alchemists would later assign mystical attributes
> to the incorruptability of gold.

COMMENTS::

1) Oops! If the Babylonians (or any equivalent ancient civilization)
established 12 and (5x12), then they gave this important numbering to the
Jews in captivity and the astrological knowledge (12 signs) probably
predates the 12 tribes..

2) The "gold" comment would be okay if all we knew was Old World history.
But natives in the New World, long dissociated from the Old, treated gold
with reverance for its untarnishability as well. And thus its spiritual
qualities.

warm regards, moonhawk

dalford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://www.sunflower.com/~dewatson/alford.htm>

"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines!"
                                                   -- Roy, Mystery Men