Re: AW: Voynichese = Old/unknown/extinct kind of Chinese dialect

Jorge Stolfi wrote:
> Come to think of it, properties (1-2) are quite strange under any of the
> theories I know of.  They seem to suggest that the number and type of
> the gallows/benches is irrelevant, only their presence/absence do
> matter. I.e., that
>
>   okchody = ochtedy = okeeedy = oshcfhedy = ...
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> --stolfi
Yes, that seems very similar to the way a tone mark would
behave.  It seems to suggest that the gallows and tables are not
letters but some sort of symbol for something else, they are
their own class.  Another possibility is that they are
grammatical markers for person and case.  Along that line of
thinking, if a list were compiled of all words in a certain
class like the gallows w/o tables words, then removing all of
the gallows characters from the words should shorten the length
of the unique word list by a disproportionate amount.
Potentially it might even shorten it by a factor equal to the
number of characters removed.
Regards,
Brian