Re: Marche: VMS zodiac based on Hermetic sources going back to Dendera

Bradley E. SCHAEFER wrote:

> Egyptian Dendera ceiling zodiac, dating from around 30 A.D., illustrated
> and described in E. C. Krupp's In Search of Ancient Astronomies (1978), pp.

Ah, he beat me to it! :) I just read the article at lunchtime and remembered
the calender in Krupp. Without going home to review the book, let me add
that Krupp is one of the best introductory texts on archaeoastronomy I've
seen, and should be read by anyone interested in the topic.

I remember thinking a while back that Hermetic texts might be an interesting
and plausible topic for the VMs. Certainly they might be a source for crib
words and phrases to test against the content as, even if it's not a copy
of one of the actual texts, it might refer to them or the associated
magical ideas. Has anyone explored this?

-Adams

--
Adams Douglas, San Diego, CA   Adams@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://Adams.Douglas.net/

     "I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking
      about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it;
      but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in
      numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
                              - William Thomson (Lord Kelvin)