 Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:14:40 -0500
 From: Bruce Grant <bgrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 To: vms-list@xxxxxxxxxxx
 Subject: Re: VMs: Chinese thoughts [ was: languages etc]

 Dennis wrote:

 >	Here's something I still wonder about.  One always
 >hears that each Chinese syllable constitutes many
 >homophones, and apparently the Chinese themselves think
 >of it this way.  However, Jacques once told me here
 >that Chinese syllables in fact combine into groups that
 >we Indo-Europeans would consider "words" - despite the
 >fact that in Chinese all morphemes are free.  So
 >meaning in fact must be determined by context.  You
 >might as well say that 'un' , 'like' , and 'ly' are
 >separate words, and that in 'unlikely' their individual
 >meanings are only determined by context.

 I think you can say that a character maps to a syllable (actually, many
 characters map to the same syllable), but that some words are written
 with a single character and some with two (or maybe more). Also, not
 every character can be a free-standing word. (I remember reading that
 there are at least a few characters which appear only as part of a
 two-character word, never alone.)

 Regards,

 Bruce