VMs: Re: Re: Backward scanning

Michael <mlcnpq46@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

The words I recognize as correct  italian are the following (n.b. there will
be others as I'm not fluent);
paio-pair
dall-of the,from the
capi-heads,leaders
casa-house
caso-case
lanciate-thrown,hurled
abbia-has(subj.)
secchi-dry(m.pl.)
lancia-he throws
stadio-stadium
madre-mother
invece-instead of
lunedi-monday
infedele-unfaithful
problema-problem
premi-you(fam.) press
pieno,piena,piene-full
bere-to drink
interi-entire(m.pl.)
olandese-dutch
tesi-thesis
concrete,concreti-concrete(adj.)
poteva-he,she,it was able
deve-he,she,it must
oggi-today
dagli-from the(m.pl.)
insegno- I teach
marchia-he,she,it brands
marchio-I brand
dice-he says
simili-similar(m.pl.)
filo-thread
regime-regime
primo-first
rabbino-rabbi
cioe-that is
gira-he,she,it turns
dire-to say
uccisi-killed(pl.)
ucciso-killed
riuscita-succeeded(fem.)
popolarita-popularity
scrive-he,she,it writes
scrivo-I write
alla-to the(fem.sing.)
modelli-models
allo-to the(m.sing.)
realta-reality
bomba-bomb
tempo-time/weather
quindi-therefore

There are also many words in your list which are either very similar to or
very suggestive of Italian words; let me know if you need them.

Jeff answered:

Well a few interesting properties were found. Though I have by no means made
an exhaustive search.

I found pieno and not piena or piene in the text. More interestingly I found
interisti and not interi.
The seed for this seems to have been the word elicotteri where the pattern
ot seems to have been replaced and the word then terminated.

I found concreti but not concrete which like most other new words seems to
have had only the last letter substituted.

The seed word for insegno was the plaintext word assegno. Insegno was also
missing from the plain text.

The rest were as follows. Those in brackets appeared in the plain text and
those following were the new words.

(marchio) marchia

(uscita) riuscita

(scrive) scrivo

(modello) modelli

Unlike the tests I ran on english there seems to be an anchor point in
Italian at the last letter of a word. Don't ask me why and maybe I'm
misreading it. English seemed to have exactly the reverse propery. BUT this
last letter bias is also a property found in the EVA text sample that I have
scanned. This may be a complete red herring but I think it is too
significant to ignore. Also Italian must be a purer language than English
and may be the reason for this effect, I don't know. I will be trying french
to make a comparison so anyone fluent in french? :-)

Jeff

P.S. All comments welcome. If I am doing all this wrong then please feel
free to tell me. I would hate to be wasting my time.