Fwd: Re: Toresella

If the VMS were penned in the second half of the XVI
>> century, then I have no difficulty in accepting the presence of
botanical
>> samples from the Western Hemisphere; however, I am not convinced
that
>> the sunflower identification is accurate.
>
>	It was Brumbaugh that said that the sunflower and pepper showed that
>it was written after the discovery of the New World.  He thought that
>the text
>was nonsense, written by Dee and Kelly to make money.  He did think
that
>the
>labels were meaningful, Latin enciphered in a rudimentary cipher.  We
no
>longer
>accept any of this.

More precisely, I believe that it was Hugh O'Neill who first identified
(carelessly, I would say) the "sunflower" and "pepper" and emphasized
that they would date the MS to after 1493 (when Columbus returned to
Europe with seeds). Brumbaugh was responsible only for the
popularization of O'Neill's provocative claim.

-Philip Marshall