Re: VMS -- Botany (f94r) Botrychium lunaria,Finland

Hello Philip,
   Folio 100 verso contains a collection of sprigs in what is referred to as the
Pharmaceutical section of the VMS. A number of these appear to be miniature versions
of plants found in the Herbal section. It is not yet clear to me which plant Hugh
O'Neill was referring to? Where did you see the reference? Mary D'Imperio on p.114 in
"The Voynich Manuscript -- An Elegant Enigma" includes a drawing of Lunaria from
Ashmole ("Theatrum Cemicum Britannicum", p.348).

Interesting English Verse:
http://www.library.upenn.edu/etext/science/ashmole/362.html
http://www.library.upenn.edu/etext/science/ashmole/130a.html

Thank you for the reference on folio 35 verso concerning Ophioglossaceae fern. I will
see what I can dig up.

http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/cgi/gallery_query?q=Ophioglossaceae

While I am now a bit familiar with Linnaeus, my knowledge of European folklore is very
limited, though I do find it very interesting.

Regards,
Dana Scott