Re: OT: Syllabic Stress in English

There are many words in English (at least in the American one) in which the stress
is a matter of choice.  Recently there was a very heated discussion on TV in which
the word harassment was used endlessly.  Within  the same conversations, some
participants, all native American speakers, placed the stress on the first, and some
others on the second syllable.  The word controversy itself can be heard from native
American speakers pronounced with the stress either on the first or on the second
syllable. The words formidable and applicable are also examples, as well as many
other words. It looks though that all such words with an uncertain stress are of the
Latin origin. There is no such phenomenon in Russian and Ukrainian where changing
the stress, if at all permissible,  would mean changing meaning.  M