Re: OT: Syllabic Stress in English

Good summary, Dennis. One missed is Noun-Noun compounds, such as "políce
dog" vs. an Adjective-Noun such as "iron gate." Note the low stress on "dog"
vs. the high stress on "gate." This is a particularly interesting
suprasegmental contrast because it's so unconscious with English speakers
and hard to bring up to consciousness.

warm regards, moonhawk