Re: OT - Syllabic Stress in English and Russian

As a native Russian speaker, I can assert that there are no obvious
rules where to put the stress. It seems to be quite random, although I
have not conducted any systematic study of that question. Here is a
simple example, relating to last names.  There are two quite common last
names in Russia, Sakharov and Zakharov. The difference is in only one
letter. However, Sakharov has the stress on the first syllable while
Zakharov on the second. The explanation seems to be that they stem from
words sakhar (meaning sugar) wich has the stress on the first syllable,
and Zakhar which is a first name and has the stress on the second
syllable. Furthermore, there are many examples of words which have
different meaning depending on the stress. For example "zamok" with the
stress on the first syllable means castle, but the same word with the
strress on the second syllable means lock. There are last names which
have different stress depending on the social status of the name's
bearer. For example one of the most common Russian last names is
Ivanov.  If that name's bearer was a peasant or a middle-class merchant,
it would have the stress on the last syllable.  However, if he belonged
to nobility, the stress would be on the middle syllable. Why? No idea.
Cheers, Mark