Re: Entropy & alphabets

On 5 Oct 2000, at 9:45, Dennis wrote:

>  Very interesting.  The graphs form various families.
> Dalgarno is a little lower than the  Curva/Currier/FSG/Gava family.

Well Gava is a bit more economical than Curva but just because
the complex gallows are coded as a single character.
So yes, Curva, Currier and Gava are very similar.

> Also very interesting is how English entropy crosses Latin entropy
> at 100,000 characters and becomes higher than Latin.

Yes, I noted this too but I do not have an answer.

> think of a reason for this?  Dalgarno and English both
> start to slope up at ~3000 characters.

Note that Dalgarno's text seems to be word-redundant; I am not
sure whether this is content-related or because of the word
structure.

Going out to see if I can get Sky & Telescope!...

Cheers,
Gabriel